Switch-Kit Checklist

Switching to Park Community has never been easier. Simply print the forms you need below to change your direct deposit, cancel automatic payments from your old account, and more.

Send a notice to set up direct deposits with any new company or individual.

Direct Deposit Change Request

Send written notices to companies with which you have a direct deposit agreement already:

  • Employer
  • Government deposits
  • Pension
  • Transfers from other financial institutions
  • Investment dividends
  • Child support or court-issued deposits, etc.

Notify them that you want to switch your direct deposits to Park Community Credit Union.

Download form

Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement

Visit the following address to change your Social Security deposit information on the web:


Or you may call the Social Security Administration hotline at 800.772.1213.

Routing/Transit number: 283079476

Download form

Authorization for Canceling Automatic Payments

Send written notices to companies who automatically take payments from your checking account (utilities, mortgage, insurance, brokerage, credit cards, internet service providers, transfers to other banks, child support or court issued payments, etc.) notifying them that you are closing the account.

Download form

Authorization for Transferring Automatic Payments

Send this form to companies notifying them that you want to transfer existing automatic payments from your previous financial institution to Park Community Credit Union.

Download form

Authorization for Automatic Payment

Send a notification to companies in order to set up new automatic payments. Verify that your direct deposits and automatic payments have begun posting to your new Park Community Credit Union account.

Download form

Account Closing Request

Send written notice to your old financial institution informing them you are closing your account.

Download form